In the last 5 years the Equality and Human Rights Commission has received complaints from individuals of unfair treatment and racism from both Saints and non-Saints. However, in recent weeks the word Xenophobia has been used to describe some press articles and broadcasts and some social media posts.
The EHRC therefore proposes to research the nature of the divide in order to understand its roots in society. A deeper understanding of the situation will enable the EHRC to recommend actions for itself, SHG and others to help reduce the divide, increase mutual respect and understanding between all groups in society and over time reduce the problem.
The study and report will address the following questions
- Is there racism or xenophobia or some other issue on St Helena causing the divide?
- What form does this take, how is it displayed?
- What are the underlying causes?
- What can the EHRC do to address this situation?
- What recommendations can the EHRC make?
We welcome your views.
Please contact us on Tel: 22133 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org